Chicken breast smothered in a delicious gravy with sauteed mushrooms is cooked to perfection in the crockpot. This smothered chicken recipe is the definition of a comfort meal!
This smothered chicken will be one of the best chicken recipes you make in your life. That’s right, I said it—your life!
By cooking the chicken breasts in the slow cooker, it makes the chicken extra juicy with a slightly roasted exterior.
And don’t even get me started on the gravy. The creamy sauce has a touch of earthiness from the freshly sliced mushrooms that compliments the chicken.
The flavors just really work together. They taste great separately, but together…they taste amazing! This smothered mushroom chicken is the perfect meal for a lazy night in.
Frequently Asked Questions About Smothered Chicken
Before I share my smothered chicken recipe, here are a few questions I have gotten from our readers that I wanted to share:
Can I Use Canned Or Jarred Mushrooms?
Yes, you can but I wouldn’t really recommend it. When veggies are canned or jarred, they tend to carry over extra sodium and they might have a more “rubbery” texture from the cooking process.
It’s better to use fresh mushrooms. Just make sure you clean them well before cooking!
Can I Use Chicken Thighs Instead Of Chicken Breasts?
Yup! It depends on which type of meat you prefer. If you like all-white meat, then I would recommend using the chicken breast. If you like darker meat, then chicken thighs are the way to go!
With both cuts of poultry, make sure to remove the outer skin off the chicken before you place them into the crockpot. If you leave them on to cook with the chicken, they will just be very soggy and it probably won’t taste as good as it would if it were crispy.
Crockpot Smothered Chicken With Mushrooms
Now it’s time to start cooking this yummy comfort dish! Here is the list of ingredients to make this yummy recipe in the slow cooker.
- Boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Condensed cream of chicken soup
- Lipton onion soup mix or your choice of brand
- Sliced mushrooms
How To Make This Recipe For Smothered Chicken
Before you start adding all of the ingredients into the crockpot, spray the sides of the slow cooker with some non-stick cooking spray or use a slow cooker liner.
Place the chicken breasts in a single layer at the bottom of the cooker and season them with some fresh pepper.
In a separate bowl, mix both condensed soups, onion soup mix, fresh sliced mushrooms, and water. Gently fold the mixture together until it is all combined.
Pour the mushroom gravy mixture evenly over the chicken breasts. Use a spatula to help spread the gravy evenly over all of the chicken.
Cook on HIGH for 4 to 4 1/2 hours or on LOW for 7 to 8 hours. Be sure to adjust cooking times according to how fast/slow your cooker cooks.
- I suggest you spray the slower cooker with a non-stick spray or use a slow cooker liner because dairy products tend to scorch, and this makes the cleanup process more difficult. Also, scorched dairy might change the flavor of the dish.
- You do not need to add extra salt to this dish! In my honest opinion, there is enough sodium from the canned cream soups and the onion soup mix.
- Feel free to use low sodium cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup. This will not affect the flavor of the dish!
- I LOVE mushrooms, so don’t be afraid to double the amount of sliced mushrooms if you want. It will take the same amount of time to cook.
- If you are wanting to add some more veggies to this dish, consider adding some fresh spinach or some caramelized onions.
- To take this dish to the next level, I like to cook up some slices of thick-cut bacon and crumble it on top of the smothered chicken before serving.
What To Serve With This Chicken Dish
Between the crispy, juicy chicken and the earthy, creamy gravy, you’re probably wondering which side dishes could possibly hold up alongside this delicious chicken dish.
Here are a couple of my usual go-to’s:
- White or Brown Rice
- Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Broccoli
- Sauteed Green Beans
- Glazed Carrots
If you are looking for a more low-carb option to substitute rice, you should consider making some homemade cauliflower rice or cauliflower mash!
More Crockpot Recipes
If you loved this Crockpot Smothered Chicken, check out some of our best recipes from The Slow Cooking Club:
- 2 to 2 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix or store brand
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray, or use a slow cooker liner. Place chicken breasts in a single layer in cooker and season with pepper. In a bowl, mix condensed soups, onion soup mix, mushrooms, and water. Mix well.
- Pour mixture evenly over chicken, and use a spatula to help in spreading your chicken breasts.
- Cook on high for 4 to 4 1/2 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours. Be sure to adjust cooking times according to how fast/slow your cooker cooks.