Use your slow cooker to make this delicious crockpot chicken fajitas! It’s very simple to make and perfect to serve for dinner on Cinco De Mayo. They are packed full of flavor and the perfect protein option to serve in some flour tortillas for tacos! Are you obsessed with tacos? Are you stuck on what to serve for Cinco De Mayo? You should try to make this chicken fajitas! If you’re worried that you can’t make this because you don’t have a grill, don’t be. The best part of these chicken fajitas recipe is that you can make this in the crockpot! It’s just a super simple way to create a delicious dish that everyone is certain to love. And, let me just tell you, the taste of these crockpot chicken fajitas will have you coming back for more! While they may not have that char from the grill, they still end up having this combo of tenderness and crunch all at the same time.
Video: How to Make Chicken FajitasHere’s a quick video showing you exactly how to make chicken fajitas in the crockpot. Take a look!
Easy Crockpot Chicken FajitasThe best part about this simple chicken recipe is that you can easily make it without giving it much thought! It’s great to have dinner ready and waiting when you get home. Time to get cooking! Here are the ingredients you will need to make this chicken fajita recipe in the slow cooker:
- Chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- Can of petite diced tomatoes (drained)
- Yellow bell peppers (cut into thin strips)
- Red bell pepper (cut into thin strips)
- Orange bell pepper (cut into thin strips)
Seasoning For Chicken FajitasHere are are the seasonings I like to mix together to flavor the chicken fajitas:
- Taco seasoning (you can also use homemade)
- Garlic powder
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
How To Make Chicken FajitasTo start making this Mexican chicken recipe, empty out half a can of diced tomatoes into the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker and spread it out evenly. Add half of the sliced bell peppers on top of tomatoes and then layer the chicken breasts on top of them. Cover the chicken breasts with a mixture of chicken fajitas seasoning. Make sure to evenly spread the seasoning all over the ingredients! Finally, add the remaining diced tomatoes and sliced bell peppers on top of the chicken breasts. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 ½ – 3 hours. After making sure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees, remove the chicken breasts from slow cooker and slice it on a cutting board. Return it back to the crockpot to marinate in the juices and serve! Squeeze fresh lime juice before serving.
- Don’t add chicken breasts that are too thick. You can easily flatten it out with a meat mallet or the back of your knife. If not, you will need an extra 30 -40 minutes of cooking time. If you are using chicken thighs or ‘bone-on’ chicken breasts, you will need to cook for at least 4 ½ – 5 hours on high.
What To Serve With Chicken FajitasWhen it comes to serving this Mexican chicken dish, there are so many different ways you can eat this. Here are my usual go-to’s sides when I make chicken fajitas:
- Tortillas (corn or flour)
- Shredded lettuce
- Pico de Gallo
- Sliced avocados
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
Low Carb AlternativesIf you are trying to keep your meal as low carb as possible, you can always swap out the tortillas for lettuce wraps! You can also make yourself an EPIC chicken fajita salad. Here are a couple of other low carb alternatives to serve with your chicken fajitas:
- Low carb tortillas
- Cauliflower rice
More Crockpot RecipesIf you loved this Crockpot Chicken Fajita recipe, check out some of our best recipes from The Slow Cooking Club:
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours 30 minutes
Total Time 2 hours 45 minutes
- 2 pounds chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- Fresh limes
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Empty half can of diced tomatoes into the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker and spread evenly. Add half bell peppers on top of tomatoes, and then layer the chicken breasts on top of them.
- Cover chicken breasts with all of the seasonings. Be sure to evenly spread the dry ingredients all over.
- Finally, add the remaining diced tomatoes and sliced bell peppers on top of the chicken breasts.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 ½ - 3 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker, and slice on a cutting board. Return back to crockpot to marinate in the juices and serve. Squeeze fresh lime juice before serving.
- If your chicken breasts are thick, you can easily flatten with a meat mallet or the back of your knife. If not, you will need an extra 30 -40 minutes of cooking time. If you are using On the bone chicken breasts, you will need to cook for at least 4 ½ - 5 hours on high.
- Top with your favorite garnishments: pico de gallo, avocado, cilantro, cheese, etc.