This crockpot lemon chicken is packed full of flavor and infused with bright, herb-infused flavor thanks to the fresh lemons and rosemary! With less than 10 ingredients, you can have a new and fun chicken dish ready to go for dinner.
As much as I love chicken, sometimes, it can get kind of boring eating and cooking it the same way over and over again. I mean, don’t get me wrong- I love my chicken cacciatore and smothered mushroom chicken.
But, with spring blooming, I want to take full advantage of all the fresh citrus and herbs that come with this time of year!
With lemons popping up everywhere and the weather getting warmer outside, I really wanted to somehow incorporate this citrus fruit into a chicken dish.
And that’s how I came up with this yummy lemon chicken!
Using the crockpot and fresh rosemary sprigs from my mini herb garden, I was able to infuse a lot of fresh herbs and bright flavors into the chicken.
I love to make this dish when I have a jam-packed day and all I want to do is just have a delicious and healthy meal where I can finally catch up with my family.
Not only that, but it’s also a perfect meal for two!
Date night anyone?
Crockpot Lemon Chicken
It’s chicken time! Here is the list of 9 ingredients you will need to make this delicious lemon chicken:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Unsalted butter
- Sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
- Chicken broth
- Rosemary sprigs
- Cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
How To Make Lemon Chicken In The Crockpot
Before adding all of the ingredients into the crockpot, you will need to do a little bit of meal prepping first.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add a bit of butter and allow it to melt.
Pat the chicken breasts dry and season both sides with sea salt and cracked pepper to taste. Add the chicken to the pan and sear it until it gets to be a light golden brown color on both sides. This should take about 3-4 minutes per side (approximately).
It’s okay if it’s not cooked through! It will finish cooking in the crockpot.
Remove chicken and place it into the slow cooker. Using the same pan you used to cook the chicken, add the lemon juice, chicken broth, and rosemary. Allow it to simmer for 1 minute and then remove the pan from the heat.
Add some of the oregano to the chicken breasts that are already in the crockpot. Pour the sauce from the pan over the chicken and close it with the lid.
Cook this dish on HIGH for 3 1/2 – 4 hours or on LOW for 7 hours.
Make sure to check the chicken to see if it’s fully cooked through! Check the internal temperature using a meat thermometer. It should be at 165 degrees to be thoroughly cooked.
Once it’s all done, remove the chicken and set it to the side. Pour the leftover liquid contents back into a pan and place it on high heat.
Add your cornstarch slurry and lightly whisk it into the sauce. Continue to whisk until it comes to a gentle boil and the sauce starts to thicken. Remove from heat and serve the lemon sauce over the chicken.
- Use a different part of the chicken. If you prefer darker meat, you can swap the chicken breast for chicken thighs. If you want to use thighs but are not in the mood to handle removing the meat from the bone, make sure to pick up boneless chicken thighs.
What To Serve With This Chicken Dish
There are so many different side dishes you can serve with this lemon chicken. When I made it for the first time, I served it over some angel hair pasta and tossed it in some of the lemon sauce from the chicken to give it some flavor.
You can also serve it with some:
- Sauteed Asparagus- If I don’t serve it with angel hair pasta, some sauteed asparagus in some garlic, butter, and lemon is definitely my second go-to!
- Roasted Vegetable Medley- I love to grab whatever veggies I have leftover in the fridge and toss them in a little olive oil to roast.
- Rice- White or brown works great with this chicken dish!
- Potatoes- I think mashed potatoes pairs really well with lemon chicken but you can also chop them up and roasted them in the oven with some of the leftover rosemary sprigs.
As for low carb options- You can serve this crockpot chicken dish with some of the vegetarian options I suggested, riced cauliflower or a side of zucchini noodles!
More Crockpot Recipes
If you loved this Crockpot Lemon Chicken, check out some of our best recipes from The Slow Cooking Club:
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 2 lemons, juices
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add butter and allow to melt.
- Pat chicken breast dry and season both sides with sea salt and cracked pepper. Add chicken to pan and sear to a light golden brown color on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side (approximately).
- Remove chicken and place into the slow cooker. To the pan, add lemon juice, chicken broth, and rosemary. Allow to simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Add oregano to chicken that’s placed in the slow cooker. Pour ingredients from the pan over the chicken. Cook on high for 3 1/2 - 4 hours, or low for 7 hours.
- Once done, remove chicken and set to the side. Pour liquid contents to a pan, and place on high heat. Add your cornstarch slurry and lightly whisk. Continue to whisk until it comes to a gentle boil. Remove from heat, and serve over chicken.
You can serve over your favorite choice of pasta or rice. I served it over an angel hair pasta and used the sauce to flavor the pasta.