If Mexican dishes are common meals in your house then you need this slow cooker chicken burrito recipe. I’m sure by now you have figured out that most slow cooker recipes are pretty easy to put together and require little to no supervision during the cooking process, and this one is not any different. Also like many Mexican dishes, the required ingredients are things you already have on hand or are very cheaply purchased making these chicken burritos a must have in a frugal meal plan. And (at the risk of sounding like an infomercial) that’s not all! This is the perfect meal for big parties because it can easily be multiplied to feed a crowd. In other words, the slow cooker chicken burrito has everything we look for in a slow cooker meal: cheap ingredients, simple to make, and perfect for a crowd. Basically, these burritos are the poster child of slow cooker meals.
Yummy Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito
Nothing satisfies a craving for Mexican quite like a good burrito. Not only is this chicken burrito packed with protein, but it’s also full of all the flavors we love to taste in Mexican dishes.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth, plus more as needed
- 1 1/2 TBS taco seasoning
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 can corn, drained
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, sour cream, diced avocado, salsa, salsa verde, hot sauce, diced green onions, shredded lettuce
- Combine the chicken, diced tomatoes(undrained), chicken broth, and taco seasoning in a 2 1/2- to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Make sure the chicken is covered with liquid, adding additional broth as needed. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours.
- Uncover and stir in the beans, rice, and corn. Cover and continue cooking on LOW for an additional 3 to 4 hours. Check the rice periodically in the last hour of cooking, stirring once or twice to make sure the rice cooks evenly and that it doesn’t overcook. Add more chicken broth if the mixture seems dry.
- Remove the chicken, shred with 2 forks, and return to slow cooker. Mix well. Taste and stir in more salt or other seasonings as needed. Serve on flour tortillas with your choice of toppings.
What could be simpler than that right? Slow cooker chicken burritos taste amazing, fill you up and keep you full, all while allowing you to stretch that budget just a little bit more. So go ahead, do that happy dance, because you just had a life win.