You can have this classic chicken pot pie ready to serve for dinner in just a few hours! This crockpot recipe is super simple to make and not to mention, absolutely delicious. Full of juicy chicken, tender potatoes, and a variety of veggies, this pot pie is a bowl full of comfort!
I have to admit it. My food mood lately is 100% focused on comfort. Can you blame me?
Keeping on this cooking trend, I decided to make one of my childhood favorites- chicken pot pie.
I looooooove to make chicken pot pie on a rainy day!
This dish is full of juicy chicken bites, tender potatoes, an array of veggies, and a creamy soup base. It’s really going to knock your socks off.
Frequently Asked Questions About Chicken Pot Pie
Before I share my recipe for crockpot chicken pot pie, here are a few questions I have gotten from our readers that I wanted to share:
How Can I Thicken My Pot Pie?
For this recipe, the natural starchiness from the potatoes helps to thicken the soup as the dish cooks over time. To get it to that rich consistency, I also added a thickening slurry (1 part cornstarch to 2 parts water) to the crockpot.
How Do You Store This Chicken Pot Pie For Later?
To store this cooked recipe in the fridge for later in the week, scoop everything out of the crockpot and put it in an air tighter container. If you want to maintain some bite to your biscuits, I recommend storing in a separate container and just pull it out when you are ready to eat.
Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie
Here is a list of ingredients you will need to make this dish:
- Chicken breasts (cut into 1” cubes)
- Red potatoes (diced)
- Sweet onion (diced)
- Carrots (peeled and diced)
- Stalks celery, diced
- Bay leaves
- Corn kernels (frozen, canned or roasted)
- Frozen peas
- Chicken stock
- Cream of chicken soup mix
- Dried thyme
- Garlic powder
- Cornstarch slurry (2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with 2 – 3 tablespoons of water)
- Sea salt & cracked pepper (to taste)
- Refrigerated biscuits
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie In A Slow Cooker
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together chicken broth and a package of cream of chicken soup mix.
In a 6-quart slow cooker, add the chicken, potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme. Pour chicken broth mixture into the slow cooker and gently mix everything together.
Cover with the lid and cook the pot pie on LOW heat for 4 hours or on HIGH for 2 hours.
Once it’s done, mix in the corn, frozen peas, and cornstarch slurry to thicken it up. Gently mix everything together!
Cover and cook for another 30 minutes.
When it’s done, open up the canned biscuits and lay them out in front of you. Cut each canned biscuit into 4ths and spread evenly across the top of the slow cooker.
Cover and cook for another 30 minutes. To brown the top, place it in a 450-degree oven for a couple of minutes. Allow the pot pie to cool before serving.
- You can use 1 can of cream of chicken soup in place of the dry mix. There is no need to dilute it. You can still whisk with chicken broth to evenly distribute flavors.
- Want more of a chicken flavor? If you want a more robust chicken flavor, you can add in 2 packets of cream of chicken soup instead of just using 1.
- Swap out the dry herbs for fresh ones. If you prefer to use fresh herbs instead of dried ones, go for it! Just make sure to add enough as dried herbs are much more potent than fresh. For example- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme= 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme.
- You don’t have to add the biscuits. If you don’t want to add the biscuits to the crockpot, you can easily bake them in the oven and serve them on the side with a bowl of chicken pot pie.
What To Serve With Chicken Pot Pie
Truly, this recipe needs to be eaten in a bowl, on its own. It’s absolutely delicious! The only real “extra” thing I would serve on the side is some flakey butter biscuits.
You can never have too many biscuits!
If biscuits aren’t your favorite (I mean, how can they not be?), cornbread is a great option to opt for. The sweetness of the cornbread pairs well with the creaminess of the chicken pot pie.
More Crockpot Recipes
If you loved this recipe for Chicken Pot Pie, check out some of our best recipes from The Slow Cooking Club:
- Beef Bolognese Sauce
- Cinnamon Roll Casserole
- Pineapple Chicken
- Chicken Enchilada Dip
- Homemade 2-Ingredient Bread
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 pound red potatoes, diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 envelope cream of chicken soup mix
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- cornstarch slurry (2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with 2 – 3 tablespoons of water)
- sea salt & cracked pepper to taste
- 1 (16-ounce) tube refrigerated biscuits
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together chicken broth and package of cream of chicken soup mix.
- In a 6 quart slow cooker, add chicken, potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme. Pour chicken broth mixture into the slow cooker and gently mix. Cover and cook for low heart for 4 hours or on high for 2 hours.
- Once done, add in corn, peas, and cornstarch slurry. Gently mix together. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- When done, cut each canned biscuit into 4ths. Spread evenly across the top of the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. To the brown top, place in a 450-degree oven for a couple of minutes. Allow to cool before serving.