This homemade bread recipe is super simple to make in the crockpot. It only takes 2 INGREDIENTS! Isn’t that crazy? You can quickly make a couple of these yeast-free bread loaves at a time and save them in the freezer until you are ready to eat them.
Having been stuck at home lately, I’ve been inspired to try out all-new recipes! So, I decided to take on the challenge and attempt to make homemade bread… I was pleasantly surprised!
In my search to find the perfect homemade bread recipe, I found so many different ways and recipes- it was crazy. What really blew my mind were these 2 ingredient bread recipes I kept coming across.
There was NO way you could make bread with just 2 ingredients… right?
It is possible! I tried it the first time and it came out pretty good but thought it was a fluke so I made another loaf. It was even better than the first one because I placed it the oven after it cooked in the crockpot and it got that delicious golden-brown crust on the outside.
You guys need to try this!
Frequently Asked Questions About Crockpot Bread At Home
Before I share my deliciously made-at-home bread recipe, here are a few questions I have gotten from our readers that I wanted to share:
Will 2 Ingredient Dough Rise?
Yes! That’s why I would recommend using self-rising flour. The baking soda in flour blend helps it rise while the greek yogurt helps everything come together.
What Can I Use If I Don’t Have Self-Rising Flour?
If you don’t have any self-rising flour on hand, you can make your own!
You will need to mix these ingredients together:
- All-purpose flour (1 cup)
- Baking soda (1 1/2 teaspoons)
- Salt (1/2 teaspoon)
You can use this homemade flour blend in place of the self-rising flour to make your bread.
Do I Have To Use Regular Yogurt?
Nope! You can use non-fat Greek yogurt if you prefer. It will not affect how the bread turns out.
What Can I Add To The Homemade Bread To Enhance The Flavor?
While this bread tastes amazing on its own, here are a couple of different seasonings and flavors you can make to switch it up every once in a while…
- Seeds (pumpkin, sesame, poppy, etc.)
- Everything but the bagel seasoning
Can I Freeze A Couple Of Loaves Of Homemade Bread?
Yes, you can. To maintain the freshness of the bread, I recommend wrapping the loaves in some plastic wrap and make sure that no air will get in.
You can also take the plastic-wrapped loaves and put them in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag or wrap it in aluminum foil.
I would recommend leaving the bread in the freezer for no more than 3 weeks.
Crockpot Homemade Bread Recipe
Now it’s time to get this bread baking!
Here are the 2 ingredients you’ll need to make this amazing homemade bread:
- Self-rising flour
- Greek yogurt
I told you it was only 2 ingredients! This magic bread is completely yeast free!
How To Make The 2 Ingredient Dough
In a large bowl, add both ingredients and mix well with a fork for approximately 2 minutes. After you have mixed as much as you could with the fork, finish working with your hands.
Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough for 1 minute. Make sure not to knead it too much because it will overwork the dough and make it tough.
Lightly flour a non-stick loaf pan or use a light amount of non-stick spray. Form an oblong dough ball and place it into the loaf pan.
How To Make The Homemade Bread In The Crockpot
Turn the slow cooker on HIGH and place the bread pan into the slow cooker. Take a clean towel and lay it over the top of the crockpot. Then, place the lid on top to secure the towel in place.
This will help capture the heat and help the loaf of bread to rise and cook all the way through.
Cook for approximately 2 hours and 15 -20 minutes.
To brown the top, preheat the oven to 450 degrees and place the bread loaf pan in the oven. Allow just enough time to brown the top portion of the bread which should only take a couple of minutes.
Allow the bread to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing it from the loaf pan.
What To Serve With Homemade Bread
When I was testing out this recipe the first couple of times, I actually would serve it with a small bowl filled with olive oil and fresh Italian herbs… Wow! I don’t know why I don’t eat bread like that more often. It was delicious!
If you’re looking for something a little more filling, you can make yourself an amazing sandwich topped with your favorite deli meat, sliced cheese, and sandwich toppings. My go-to is always lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles with a drizzle of olive oil. So YUM!
Here are a couple of more recipes you make to serve with this homemade bread:
More Crockpot Recipes
If you loved this Homemade Bread recipe in the crockpot, check out some of our best recipes from The Slow Cooking Club:
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- In a large bowl, add ingredients. Mix well with a fork for approximately 2 minutes, and then finish working with your hands.
- Put the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for 1 minute.
- Lightly flour a non-stick loaf pan, or use a light amount of non-stick spray. Form an oblong dough ball, and place it into the loaf pan.
- Turn slow cooker on high, place pan in the slow cooker, cover slow cooker with a clean towel, and place lid on top to secure towel in place.
- Cook for approximately 2 hours and 15 -20 minutes. To brown the top, preheat oven to 450 degrees, and place in oven. Allow just enough time to brown the top portion of the bread. This should only take a couple of minutes.
- Allow the bread to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from the loaf pan.
- You can use non-fat Greek yogurt, it will not affect the outcome.
- If you don’t have self-rising flour, you can mix together: all-purpose flour (1 cup), baking soda (1 1/2 teaspoons), and salt (1/2 teaspoon).
- You can add different seasonings to the bread, such as rosemary, thyme, sesame seeds, Everything but the bagel seasoning, and more!