Fall is in the air and you family is clamoring for chili. But because of recent changes whether in your diet or in your budget, you’re trying to scale back on the amount of meat you consume. Obviously you want your family to like what you make but you don’t want to compromise. Luckily with vegetarian black bean chili you don’t have to! It’s full of nutritious ingredients that are vegetarian (even vegan) friendly. Packed with protein and tons of delicious flavor, it will please your cravings for the comfort of a bowl of warm chili.
Maybe you are feeding a crowd or just trying to stretch you budget a bit. Black Bean Chili will be a life saver to have in your recipe book. made with budget friendly beans combined with other staples in your kitchen, this is a full meal that comes together very quickly, tastes amazing and fills your house and heart with the coziness of fall.
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Black Bean Chili
Meal Planning Made Easy
Planning a menu is extremely hard with the thousands of recipes that are out there. But people try to make it easy with planning theme nights, a popular being Meatless Monday. Once upon a time finding meatless recipes was extremely difficult, but now with the abundance of dietary restrictions, meals like back bean chili are much easier to find. And because it is meatless and cooked in s slow cooker, it requires less prep making it a quick meal to throw together.
- 1 pound dry black beans
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Garnishes as desired: sour cream, cheese, cilantro, green onions, jalapenos
- Rinse and sort the beans and place in the slow cooker and fill most of the way with water.
- Cook on low overnight. In the morning drain the cooking water.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook 1 minute, then add chili powder and cumin and cook 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add this mixture to the slow cooker along with all remaining ingredients except canned beans and garnishes. Stir well and cook on low all day. Stir in canned beans an hour or so before serving. Serve with garnishes.
Whether you are an actual vegetarian or trying to stretch your budget yet still eat hearty meals, vegetarian black bean chicken is the perfect meal for literally everyone you know. Its warm, its hearty and it’s healthy. What more could you ask for?