Some things just belong together. This slow cooker chicken and broccoli soup and cold days are an example! It’s a match made in heaven. It’s a creamy and hearty comfort food. Perfect for topping with a pile of cheese or dunking in a piece of crusty bread, this slow cooker chicken and broccoli soup is sure to become a quick favorite!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Broccoli Soup
I absolutely love slow cooker meals for the ease. This one isn’t any different! While it isn’t a 100% dump and go recipe, you can easily prepare the chicken while you are chopping all of your veggies, making it super fast to put it together.
A few things before we get started with this easy recipe:
- If you don’t use slow cooker liners, I can’t rave about them enough. Slow Cookers are great for limiting your dirty dishes. And slow cooker liners help even more. They are inexpensive and easy to use. And you can use them to store your leftovers if you need to as well by just tieing the bag.
- This recipe will freeze well. If you have a Foodsaver or a vacuum sealer, you can even make individual portions, which is great for taking for lunch!
How do you store leftover slow cooker soup?
The great part about cooking in the slow cooker is that you can easily make a bunch to save for later! If you happen to have any left over, you just need to add it to an airtight container and store it in the fridge. This will keep it good for several days and you can just heat up whatever you’re wanting to eat when it’s time.
Can you freeze chicken and broccoli soup?
You can! The only issue that you might run into is that the texture can change quite a bit once it unthaws. This is because of the added cream that is part of the recipe. While it doesn’t mean that it isn’t good to eat, it can throw some people off when it comes to tasting it.
Can you use canned chicken in this recipe?
If you’re wanting to make it even more simple, you can use canned chicken if you want. It’s a quick fix and literally takes out any true cooking effort on your part!
Ingredients to make homemade chicken and broccoli soup
- 2 large chicken breast
- 2 broccoli heads
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp Chicken base
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 tsp of seasoned salt (¼ onion powder, ¼ garlic powder, ¼ salt, ¼ pepper)
- 1 tbsp of cornstarch
- 1 tsp of olive oil
Directions to make this slow cooker soup.
- In a skillet, add olive oil and heat on med/high heat. Add chicken and brown on each side until fully cooked.
- While chicken is cooking and dry your veggies. Add the carrot, celery, and onion to the food chopper and chop until finely chopped.
- Remove the chicken from the heat and set aside. In the same skillet add the carrot, celery, onion mix and saute until tender.
- Now prepare the broccoli by removing all stems from the broccoli. Chop the broccoli with the food chopper.
- Place a slow cooker liner to your slow cooker if you are using one.
- Dice the cooled chicken and add to the slow cooker as well as your veggies.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken base and water and mix thoroughly. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add in the heavy cream, seasoned salt, and cornstarch to the slow cooker and seal the lid.
- Cook on High for 4 hours.
- Once done remove lid and stir thoroughly.
I hope you enjoy this slow cooker chicken and broccoli soup as much as we do! It is sure to warm you up, even on the coldest of all winter nights! Don’t forget to pin to Pinterest for later and when you make it, be sure to let us know how your family enjoyed this slow cooker chicken and broccoli soup!
What toppings would you add to this slow cooker chicken and broccoli soup?
Do you mean food processor? I’m a little confused by food chopper. How fine should the veggies be cut.