A piping hot bowl of beef stew is one of the most common comfort foods there is. Every region has its own variation, but this hearty slow cooker beef stew version is too delicious not to share. This can be the perfect meal planning recipe, not only for prepping but freezing for future dinners as well.
With the fall season closing in on us, you’ll definitely want to bookmark this recipe.
Hearty Slow Cooker Beef Stew
As the weather starts to cool, there’s something special about a hearty bowl of beef stew. You can serve with bread or even white rice. Personally, I grew up in Hawaii eating it over a scoop of hot rice. YUM!
I’m curious, what do you serve your beef stew with, in your neck of the woods?
The nice thing about stews and soups is that they are fairly simple to batch cook. You can freeze the extra batches to serve during the busy weeknights. So get cooking!
Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
Ingredients to make homemade beef stew:
- 2 lbs of stew meat
- 4 potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp of beef base
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tbsp of season salt ( ¼ salt, ¼ pepper, ¼ garlic powder, ¼ onion powder)
Directions to make beef stew in the slow cooker:
- Peel and cut the carrots into bite-sized pieces. Add to the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Cut the celery and add to the slow cooker with the carrots.
- Cut the potatoes and also add to the slow cooker.
- Dice the onion and add to your mix of vegetables.
- Add the meat.
- Sprinkle with seasoned salt.
- Make 4 cups of beef stock and add to slow cooker.
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for 8 hours.
- Once done remove the lid and serve immediately.
This will freeze well, so make a double batch or vacuum seal the leftovers for an easy re-heatable dinner during those hectic weeknights.